Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Best of 2014

Can you believe it's New Year's Eve already? What a whirlwind year! I have to say; I think this might have been one of the busiest years of my life, but in such a positive way. 

I launched Stilettos 'n Spice officially one year ago this month, at the suggestion from family and friends, as a way to share my fashion and entertainment interests and love of cooking. Little did I know the undertaking I was about to dive into!

Food is my passion, which is pretty hilarious to think about, as I was about the pickiest child you'd ever met! At one point I event strained my spaghetti sauce to get the "chunks" out. That is, until I discovered my Mom's food processor and went to work creating my first tomato purée. My Mother used to get so frustrated with my hate of everything she tried to serve for dinner, that one night she exasperatedly yelled, "If you don't like what I'm making, then make your own dinner!" To which I stubbornly replied "FINE! I WILL" and so I did... Concocting all kinds of strange creations, and finding out that I loved to cook. It was a done deal from that day forward. My parents enrolled me in cooking classes, I discovered Julia Child on PBS and "Yan Can Cook". My sister and I would spend hours watching infomercials about kitchen knives that were so sharp, they could cut through steel as well as food dehydrators and countertop rotisseries. I was lucky enough to visit Julia's kitchen display with my Mom at the Smithsonian in D.C. a few years back. It inspired me even further to pursue my dreams of making a living from doing what I love.

Which leads me back to all of you; the reason I am sitting here writing one year later. You believed in me, read my words and "liked" what you saw in the images of my creations. Thank you. Thank you so much for the encouragement, support and kind words. Let's take a moment to reflect on 2014 and cheers to the year to come!

2014 Year in Review from Amelia's point of view:

·      Stilettos ‘n Spice was created. My first post; Pantone Color-of-Year 2014 Radiant Orchid introduced you all to me and my love of color and fashion.

·      The year started off with the loss of a man we were not ready to let go of just yet, but celebrated his memory and how loved he made us feel.

·      I turned 30 in NYC with these crazy cool cats:

 ·      I also was humbled to visit the 9/11 memorial and see One World Trade Center being completed.





·     And I blogged about the trip:

     
·      I made Lace Sneakers based on the shoes I was inspired by in the city.


·      When I got home, I transferred to a new office with a view downtown. The name? World Trade Center at City Creek. How ironic is that?


·      In May, I celebrated my inner Mean Girl by making cupcakes. Why? Because On Wednesdays We Wear Pink... Cupcakes!

·      My favorite Disney movie came to life with my favorite person as the lead.






·      We all got wet.. 




·      Speaking of Angelina...




·      It was her year to inspire women across the world to get mammograms after her brave decision to undergo a double mastectomy. She is my hero for so many more meaningful reasons than just her film career. I love this woman for her work as a UN Ambassador and for bringing awareness to so many critical world issues with the hope of change.

·      And I end the year with my family's favorite recipe for Christmas Swedish Rye Bread. I wish I had some right now to sink my teeth into!


All in all, it's been a great year. Here's to new resolutions, recipes and love in 2015! Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment