Friday, June 27, 2014

Tangy Guacamole inspired by Chipotle's Famous Guac





As the temperature increases outside and the days run long, I look for ways to keep the kitchen cool and to take advantage of the fresh produce that is back in season. Grilling season is back in full force and with it, side dishes and appetizers.

One of the easiest ways to feed a crowd, is with a bowl of tangy guacamole. I've finally mastered the easiest and best guacamole recipe based on the flavor of Chipotle's famous guac. I found the ingredients and nutritional info listed on Chipotle.com and began concocting my own version. I went to town peeling, chopping and smashing my way into guacamole heaven.

Funny enough, but sometimes simplicity is the best recipe. I have tried every seasoning packet, mix and spice I've ever come across. None of which turned out half as good as the simple art of letting the ingredients speak for themselves, without all the add in's overpowering the avocado and ruining the flavor.



Ingredients:

4 ripe Hass Avocados- Halved, pitted and sliced into cubes.
1 Med Red Onion- Diced
1 Jalapeño- sliced into fourths (leave the seeds for added heat)
1/2 bunch of Cilantro
1-2 limes- juiced
Sea Salt

Directions:

Place cilantro and quartered jalapeño in a food processor and pulverize. 
Scrape the avocado flesh out of each skin into the bowl with a large metal spoon. 

Add the diced onion and mash mixture with a fork until blended. Add lime juice, cilantro puree and salt "to taste", as everyone has very particular preferences on the amount of lime and cilantro ratio in their guac. I am a more-the-merrier person, so I add it all. Garnish with a lime slice or sprig of cilantro & serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment