Thursday, May 15, 2014

D.I.Y. Lace Kicks



As much as I love stilettos, it's nice to give my feet a break and see sneakers make such a big comeback as acceptable footwear outside of the gym. Designer sneakers are popping up everywhere as the sporty fashion momentum continues to grow.




 Nike recently make a pair of Posh trainers in honour of Victoria Beckham and she was even caught wearing them in public! ;) I think they are rather cute. It's a nice change to see her relaxed and comfortable wearing flats like the rest of us fashionistas have to do off of the runway in real life. 



The one problem with designer sneakers? Well, they aren't cheap! Above are a few of my favorite examples of current designs running upwards of $1100 for the leopard Louboutin's to the classic Converse Chuck Taylor's for $55. 

So how do I solve this dilemma of my love for shoes and still make rent this month? I decided to make my own! 




I purchased these classic white Vans slip ons at Nordstroms for $45. Considering the middle Givenchy lace sneakers above run about $700 a pair, I consider these quite the steal. All you need to create these lace beauties is:

1 pair of Vans classic slip on sneakers in white $45
1 tube of fabric glue that dries clear $6
1 pair of Fiskars curved fabric scissors $14
1 yard of black rose lace $7
1 craft paintbrush $2
1 can of Kiwi Camp Dry heavy duty water repellent $6
Total cost: $80

Make sure that the lace pattern you pick has lots of contrast and a stark pattern for this look. The first lace I purchased was pretty, but didn't have the bold rose print and looked very one dimensional like spider webbing when laid over the white canvas.




Start by brushing fabric glue carefully across the top section of one shoe, being careful to work quickly and working right to the edge of the rubber trim, but not over. Only work with one shoe at a time, as the glue dries quickly.



Line up the lace pattern to match evenly. Press the lace into the glue and smooth over the entire surface. Wipe away any excess glue with a lightly dampened white rag. This part will take some time. Add dots of glue as needed, on edging to hold in place. After a minute of letting the glue set, VERY CAREFULLY trim the excess lace off along the edges. Take your time. You will see why I recommend these exact scissors, as they are very sharp and cut flush along the edge. Now run a bead of glue along the entire trim, blending in and pressing the edging in place as you go. Repeat this entire process along the back of the shoe, matching the flower pattern to the center of the shoe above the Vans logo and working from the inside out.

Allow the shoes to dry for a minimum of 2 hours. Take them outside and spray evenly with the Kiwi water repellent. Once finished, carefully move them to a safe place to dry for a full 24 hours before wear.



I won't lie.. This was a tedious DIY, but I love the results. Saving $700 made it worth it as well. I chose black lace, but there were other great patterned fabrics you could use to create your own style as well. Think metallics, pastels such as salmon,turquoise or sky blue or even bright, bold colors

 Now go create!

No comments:

Post a Comment