Monday, January 12, 2015

Champagne-Citrus Explosion Salad


I have a confession... I'm addicted to salad and lately I just can't get enough. So many colors, textures and flavors with endless possibilities of combinations. This citrus spinach salad has a lot of depth, for so few ingredients. It's simple, fast, and popping with flavor. Since it is so simple, I thought I'd take a minute to go over technique and show a few shortcuts to chopping up your ingredients like a pro. 



Champagne Citrus Explosion Salad

Ingredients: 

6 oz (1 container) organic baby spinach 
1 avocado, cubed
2-3 Cara Cara oranges, segmented 
1/2 cup sliced almonds 
2 large handfuls of shredded Parmesan 
1/4 cup Champagne vinegar dressing. I used Girard's Light Champagne Dressing
Freshly ground black pepper to taste, after tossed 

Directions:

Toss all and serve with a sprinkle of more cheese and the black pepper on top. Now try to share and enjoy! 

Notes:
Turn this into a meal by serving with protein. Salmon or grilled chicken will pair perfectly.

*See below for a knife skills technique lesson.


*Segmenting citrus:



1- Cut off the end where the fruit was attached to the tree and the opposite end. 
2- Place cut side down on your board, hold the top and slice end to end all the way around removing the skin and pulp as shown in image 2 and 3.
3-  Slice down the middle and carefully pull the segments apart with your fingers.at this point you can leave them whole, or cut in half horizontally for cubes.


*Slicing and cubing an avocado:




Cut around the long side of the avocado with a chefs knife going lightly through to the pit and around. Put down the knife and hold the avocado with both hands. Twist opposite directions to open the fruit. Carefully remove the pit. Take one half at a time and hold cupped in your palm. Using a paring knife, slice vertical lines evenly through the fruit being careful to not cut through the skin. This will give you slices, to cube, cut evenly the opposite direction to make squares as shown. Scoop slices out with a spoon. To cut out squares, invert the half as shown and slice along the bottom into the salad bowl as seen below. 








No comments:

Post a Comment