Today marks the ten year anniversary of the release of the movie Mean Girls. I can't even count how many times I have seen this film. My friends and I still quote the one liners often and giggle as if we have some secret inside joke with each other. I think that's why I love it so much. Everyone who survived high school knows a mean girl and was tortured by a Regina George clone at some point. And if we were really honest with ourselves, we all know we have had a little of the Regina sass from time to time as well. We aren't proud of it, but the truth is everyone can relate to parts of this film. Tina Fey did a remarkable job of writing the screenplay. You want to hate Regina so much, but end up feeling sorry for her and even liking her in the end.
So in honor of this landmark anniversary, I watched Mean Girls again today while I made these treats that are perfect for an all carb diet. You are guaranteed to loose 3 lbs after eating just one. And the color choice? Well today is Wednesday, after all. On Wednesday's we wear PINK.
Here's a fun trivia link to 25 facts you didn't know about the film.
Normally I make my cupcakes from scratch, but as it's a weeknight, I came up with this semi-homemade option. It's healthier than store bought and tastes like you spent hours instead of minutes. Frosting is the longest process and even then, I cheated.
What you'll need:
1 box of cake mix
1 C. of diet soda
1 container of low fat greek yogurt
2 containers of flavored and colored frosting
2 tsp. of vanilla extract (add to the frosting for a more homemade flavor)
1 egg
This master recipe is so versatile, mix and match flavors to create endless possibilities. Today I used Funfetti cake, Diet orange soda, creamsicle yogurt and vanilla frosting. Pick flavors that compliment each other. Devils food cake, cherry coke zero and black cherry yogurt with chocolate frosting is another favorite of mine. Think light cakes with light or bright colored colas and dark cakes with dark colas for your best flavor bet. Or use basic white cake as a blank canvas for any flavor. Grape or strawberry soda go well with white cake.
Mix all ingredients together in a large bow. For easier clean up, use the empty yogurt container to measure your soda. Fill it up for the equivalent of one cup.
Using a non-stick cookie sheet filled with liners, drop one large tablespoon into the center of each liner. You'll get about 16 cupcakes out of this batch. Fill the remaining empty slots half way with water for even baking.
Bake @ 450 degrees for 15-18 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Set aside to cool on a baking rack.
A tip on filling frosting bags; set the bag over a tall glass and then fill with frosting. Now you don't have to juggle the bag and gooey mess.
Frost and decorate as desired. Make sure to add sparkles. SO FETCH!!!








No comments:
Post a Comment