Monday, July 14, 2014

Eggs á la Goldenrod



Growing up in my family, breakfast for dinner was common weeknight option and we loved it. It was easy for Mom to throw together after a busy day and even a great option for Dad, who's culinary repertoire didn't expand much further than French toast. One of our family traditions was a dish we fondly referred to as "Eggs on toast". My grandma Ruth made it for my Mom and Mom made it for us. 

Eggs on toast consists of a basic white sauce with chopped boiled eggs added and is served over freshly toasted bread. I've made this dish myself many times for friends as a breakfast option and haven't met anyone who hasn't fallen in love after their first bite. 

As this dish is uncommon today and few have ever heard of it, I started doing some research to find out it's origins. I discovered the proper name is Eggs à la Goldenrod, which dates back to a recipe from The Boston Cooking School Cookbook By Fannie Merritt Farmer published in 1896. I love reading about vintage recipes and seeing how they have transformed over the years. Click the links below to read more about Fannie and her recipes.


Eggs à la Goldenrod



This version is very close to how we prepared it growing up. We never had a written version, Mom just showed my sister and I over the years and it stuck to memory. My version consists of the following:

Eggs à la Goldenrod

Ingredients: 

6 hard boiled eggs, peeled and separated in two bowls. Whites in one, yolks in the other. 
2 T. butter 
2 T. flour 
2 C Milk (I use 2%, feel free to use 1/2 & 1/2 for added richness) room temp or slightly warmed.
1 tsp. of salt
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
Black pepper to taste 
Chopped fresh chives or parsley to garnish 

Instructions: 

Boil the eggs the night before to save time if making this for dinner the following day and store whole in the fridge overnight. This link to Fine Cooking how to boil eggs perfectly is helpful for those of you who struggle on getting the perfect boiled egg with yellow, creamy yolks without any green or grey discoloration.


Slice the egg whites with a pairing knife into uniform horizontal slices, or into cubes. Stir whites into the sauce once it's complete. 

You may use a fork to smash the egg yolks in their bowl, or press them through a ricer or mesh strainer. I prefer the fork method (less dishes), as they turn out almost as perfect as the added step of pressing through a ricer. 

Béchamel sauce: 

In a medium saucepan, make a blonde roux with the butter and flour. This adds great flavor to your Béchamel and adds the starch to thicken. 

 Remove from heat and slowly pour in the milk, whisking vigorously until incorporated. Add back to medium heat, continue stirring until sauce thickens and bubbles on a rolling boil. About 7-10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the salt and nutmeg. You may stir in white pepper instead of black at this point if you prefer the look of keeping the sauce white, but I prefer the flavor of black and sprinkle some over the dish just before serving. 

Assembly:

Toast the bread you will be using and slice on an angle, creating toast points for presentation. If you are serving a group, toast multiple pieces under the broiler on a cookie sheet lined with foil and flip to get both sides. I have tried a variety of breads and found that sourdough is my favorite. When I am sticking to healthier options, I use an organic wheat and grain blend which still tastes delicious. 

Line 4 toast points in the center of each plate. Use the 1 C. measuring cup you used to measure the milk, to pour the Béchamel sauce over the center of the toast points. Sprinkle a few teaspoons of yolk over the top. Garnish with fresh herbs and pepper. 

I like to serve with turkey sausage or when adding extra decadence, bacon crumbled over the top. 

This dish is a great option for a budget friendly Meatless Monday, or a beautifully presented brunch to share with family and friends. it's also a great option for Easter morning to put your colored eggs to use after the hunt!

 I hope Eggs à la Goldenrod can become one of your family favorites as well and be passed on for generations to come! 

Bon Appétit!



No comments:

Post a Comment