Thursday, November 27, 2014

Apple Pie Belgian Waffles


Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you are all enjoying a peaceful morning preparing for the big meal. I was fortunate enough to not have to wake up at dawn to get a turkey in the oven. The turkey is my momma's job, and she does it well. I am in charge of veggies as per usual, and narrowed my sides down to a shaved brussels sprout salad with a lemon dressing and smokey bacon. I'll also be making a savory corn pudding with sage and garlic and the classic green bean casserole, I'll be sure to share the recipes with you soon.



I am so thankful for my family, especially my niece and nephew, Grace and McCoy. They are two of the cutest kids around. I recently had a sleepover with them while my sister and brother-in-law had a night to themselves. We had a great time playing, watching movies and snuggling on the couch.


McCoy is a rough and tumble little guy. I chased him all over the house after his bath, while he streaked around like and exibitionist and caught him with a towel to dry him off. Look at that mischievous grin. :)


I think there's hope to tame this wild child and teach him how to cook as he gets older. He's fascinated when I'm in the kitchen and loves to help me any way he can. This face is him begging to be let up on the counter to "help". So cute!




The next morning I made them these delicious Apple Pie Waffles. They are a variation of the classic Nordicware Belgian Waffle recipe that my Mom has been making all of us ever since she bought their stovetop waffle iron. Believe me, these waffles are a game changer. You will never want to eat a frozen waffle again! They taste like a deconstructed, warm apple pie oozing with cinnamon and spice goodness. Try them out for the perfect start to your Thanksgiving celebration, or this weekend, as a breakfast made to share with the ones you love.



This recipe is unique, as it includes yeast. The yeast and the whipped egg whites are an extra step that make all the difference. They make the waffle batter rise into the fluffiest and most flavorful waffles you've ever tasted.

Apple Pie Belgian Waffles

Ingredients:

1 pkg dry yeast

2 cups warm milk 4 egg, separated
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 C flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 T apple pie spice
1 T sugar
1/2 C butter, melted

Directions:

Stir yeast into milk until dissolved.

Beat egg yolks, add yeast mixture, along with vanilla.

Stir together flour, salt, sugar and apple pie spice. Add dry ingredients to the yeast mixture. Stir in melted butter until well combined.

Beat the egg whites until stiff; carefully fold into the batter.

Let the mixture stand in a warm place for 45 minutes, or until it doubles in size.

Cook as directed on your waffle maker.






Apple Pie Compote Syrup

6 baking apples of various varieties

4 Tbs. butter
1/2 C cool water
2 tsp. constarch
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tbs apple pie spice
1 cup of pure maple syrup

Clean, core and cut the apples into bite size cubes. Leave the skin on for color.

Melt the butter in a large skillet (cast iron if you have it), add the apples and sauté for 5-7 minutes until softened, stirring often.

Dissolve cornstarch in the cool water, stir well and pour into the skillet. Add the brown sugar and apple pie spice. Stir well, bringing to a boil over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes.

Reduce heat to low, stir in maple syrup and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment