I purchased a large basket of English Cucumbers for
pickling (recipe to come) from a local family run farm, and ended up with a
handful left over. I started thinking of my usual water detox blend of sliced
cucumber and fresh mint leaves that is a staple for me to stay cool in the hot
summer months. Now that Autumn is here and the weather is cooling, I thought
something more substantial was in order. With my busy lifestyle, I
tend to grab a shake on the go and a handful of veggies. Then I thought,
why not combine them? This is where the idea of a smoothie struck me.
This green smoothie is packed with nutrients. Cucumbers
are loaded with Vitamin B for energy; they detoxify and help with de-bloating
and hydration. Honeydew is packed with Vitamin C, Potassium and fiber. And the
champion of superfoods is the Chia seed. "Chia" actually
means strength in the ancient Mayan language. Chia seed was a dietary staple of the Mayans
and Aztecs for good reason. Chia seeds are loaded with
antioxidants, fiber, protein and a Omega-3 fatty acids. With all that
nutrition, it has to taste like something your disposal spit back out, right?
Wrong! This smoothie tastes delicious and is quite refreshing, it will leave
you craving more.
Ingredients:
2 C. chopped honeydew melon
1 C. chopped English cucumber
1/2 C. almond milk
1 bunch of fresh mint leaves
1 lime, juiced
1-2 Tbs.of Stevia
5-6 ice cubes
2 tsp. chia seed
Directions:
Puree all ingredients, but the stevia and chia seed until smooth. Depending on how sweet the melon is, taste for sweetness and add one to two tablespoons of stevia and the chia seeds. Pulse lightly until blended. Taste again and make any adjustments before serving.
Note: You may add a scoop of vanilla protein powder to turn this into a meal replacement shake.

No comments:
Post a Comment