Friday, July 4, 2014

Patriotic Flag Luminaries


While looking on Pinterest for a project as I often do, I ran across this article from Country Living featuring mason jar lanterns from Addicted to D.I.Y.

I decided to recreate my own version and make these patriotic mason jars luminaries last minute for decor at our 4th of July BBQ. I love the idea of using the jars as a vase for flowers or as a silverware holder during the day, and adding tea lights at night to enjoy while lighting fireworks with the family.


Supplies Needed:

3 quart size mason jars
2 packs of varying sized star stickers. The pack I found had 3 sizes. The small and medium are shown above. I used the large stars on the blue jar to create the white stars as shown below. 
1 can of white spray paint primer. Make sure the brand you choose is meant for glass.
1 can of cherry red spray paint (satin for a modern look, matte or chalk paint for rustic)
1 can of navy blue spray paint (ditto)
1" thick painter's tape, medium hold. Do not use maximum hold as it will rip off the primer.
fine grit sandpaper
1 fine tipped paintbrush for retouching

I started out using 3 quart size mason jars. Be sure to wipe them down well before starting, making sure to clean off any dust or residue on the glass. Add the smallest stickers randomly all over one jar. Make sure to leave space for the large stars, but this doesn't need to be an exact science. Use the medium sized stars to cover the two remaining jars as shown in the photo above.




In a well ventilated area, spray the jars evenly all over with the white primer. Allow the primer to dry for 30 minutes and apply a second coat. Be careful to spray evenly an not too close, to avoid runs or drips.



Add the masking tape to make the stripes and the large stars. I measured by holding the roll of tape next to the top of the lid, and striping from the bottom of where the tape hit the jar, spacing the same way.



Spray the striped jars red and the starred jar blue. Wait an hour or until well dried to spray a second coat. Once the paint has dried for at least 4 hours, remove the stripes very carefully and slowly. I used tweezers to help lift off the stars, This step is very tedious, but the slower you go, the less paint will lift and need to be touched up.

Touch up any spots a color at a time by spraying extra paint on a paper plate and using the fine tipped paintbrush.

You may distress the jars with sandpaper if you would like the jars to appear rustic or aged. As I am a modern fan, I wanted my jars bright and vibrant. I touched up spots and drips with sandpaper, but overall left the paint as is.



During the day you may display flowers as shown, or use as a holder for plastic silverware at your BBQ or colored streamers. Be creative! They are so adorable and deserve daytime glory as well.


Once the sun goes down, add a tealight to each jar in the center to illuminate. Be careful to center the light so the heat does not warp the paint. Light with a long grill lighter and enjoy!

I hope you all have a wonderful time celebrating with family and friends. Happy 4th of July!

Xoxo,

Amelia.




No comments:

Post a Comment