Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cranberry Salsa

I had a bag of cranberries left over from Thanksgiving that  needed to be used, or frozen and I started spinning the creative wheels in my head thinking of a new way to use them raw.  Using raw ingredients in this recipe preserves the most nutrition, making this dish a powerhouse of antioxidants and flavor. I also wanted to switch up the usual overly sugared version of cranberries you see in sauces and baked goods, adding a new element of heat and keeping the tartness from the berries.

The best part about Cranberry Salsa, is that it still works as an amazing condiment for meats or as a dip or spread. I can't wait to try it spooned over honey baked ham on Christmas Eve, or as a great twist on traditional salsa for my next Taco Tuesday meal. I bet it would also be great on fish, think of broiled teriyaki salmon with cranberry salsa spooned over the top, it's just so pretty!

This recipe was so simple to make, I might just whip up a few more batches to give as gifts to friends and family. Try it out and tell me any fun and creative ways you used this recipe in the comments below.




Cranberry Salsa

Ingredients:

1 12 oz. bag of cranberries

1 jalapeño, stem and seeds removed and cut into thirds
2 clementines, zested and juiced
1/2 red onion
1/2 bunch of cilantro
1 bunch of scallions, thinly sliced
1 tsp. freshly grated ginger
1 lime, juiced
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1-3 T. Stevia, to your desired sweetness

Directions:


In a food processor, combine the cilantro, jalapeño and red onion, pulsing until well minced. Add the cranberries, ginger, and stevia; continue pulsing until mixture is evenly minced, but still chunky for texture.


Scrape into a medium bowl. Add the chopped scallions, lime juice, clementine juice, zest and salt. Stir well to combine. Taste for flavor and adjust seasonings.




Serving suggestions:


Serve salsa with Late July Organic Sublime Tortilla Chips, or spoon over Neufchâtel cheese and serve with crackers for a festive holiday appetizer.


No comments:

Post a Comment