Today is National Chocolate Day, which gives us all an excuse to start the Halloween candy binge early! The average American adult consumes 24 pounds of chocolate annually. No wonder chocolate was voted as our favorite flavor. During Halloween, Americans purchase nearly 600 million pounds of candy, 90 million of this in chocolate form is sold just the week of. That's the equivalent of 16 billion fun sized Snickers bars. Side note: I keep my chocolate bars in the freezer. I love the crunch and coolness of frozen chocolate.
Chocolate is king during Halloween with $1.2 Billion in sales and today, October 28th, is the biggest contributor. So quit reading this and go buy some chocolate!
You're back? I may or may not be snacking on a chocolate toffee cracker while I type this...
You've probably heard of this recipe before. It's all over Pinterest in different varieties. This version is my favorite. I read several recipes and played around until I got just the right combination. You might know this recipe as "Christmas Crack" or "Saltine Toffee". I prefer the version with chocolate and love the idea of adding sprinkles to dress it up for the current holiday celebration. The whole thing only takes 15 minutes to make and most of you will already have all 4 ingredients, just needing the right color of sprinkles. You could also add crushed peppermint candy on top for Christmas or crushed cinnamon candy for Valentine's Day. If you come up with a great combo, leave a comment below. I love to hear your ides!
Chocolate Toffee Crackers
Ingredients:
2 sticks of butter
1 cup of light brown sugar
1-2 sleeves of saltine crackers
1 12 oz bag of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
sprinkles of your choosing
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400°
Line a cookie sheet with tin foil, making sure to create an edge to prevent leaking.
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over med-high heat. Add the brown sugar and stir with a whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
Let the mixture stand and boil for 3 minutes.
While the toffee cooks, line the cookie sheet with saltine crackers to create a solid, single layer.
Pour the toffee mixture evenly over the crackers and spread out with a silicone spatula.
Place the sheet onto the center rack of the oven and bake for 5 minutes.
Remove the sheet from the oven and rest on the stovetop.
Evenly sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the toffee. Place the sheet back in the oven for one minute to melt the chocolate chips.
Remove the sheet and gently spread out the melted chocolate until you have a smooth, even layer of shiny chocolate. To finish, shake sprinkles over the top for decoration. Place the sheet in the fridge for 10 minutes to cool, remove and break into individual squares.
Done! Wasn't that easy? Now the hard part is letting the batch make it to the serving table. I bet you can't eat just one...


No comments:
Post a Comment